Surgery Externship Requirements
We’re making an investment in the next generation of veterinary doctors!
The Texas Coalition for Animal Protection, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, offers exclusive externships to a limited number of fourth-year students from AVMA-accredited universities. TCAP is a high-volume, high-quality spay/ neuter and animal welfare organization that works to better the lives of companion animals and the people who love them throughout North Texas.
TCAP is mission-oriented and focused on ending pet overpopulation and euthanasia in North Texas animal shelters. Our program is dedicated to contributing to your readiness as a veterinarian so that you can feel confident in your skills after graduation. Full-time employment may be offered to select students upon graduation.
Roles and Responsibilities (including, but not limited, to the following)
- Classroom and clinical hands-on surgical training with an emphasis on high-volume efficiencies.
- Opportunity for additional clinical skill development (when presented) including pregnant spays, crypt orchid neuters (both canine and feline), pyometra spays, scrotal ablations, umbilical hernia repairs, dewclaw removals, dentistry, and other basic preventative surgeries.
- Examination of post-surgery patients that arrive for surgical rechecks and create recommendations for treatment.
- Primary care responsibility for multiple patients overseen by a DVM mentor dedicated to clinical instruction, with a focus on preventative medicine and spay/neuter.
Requirements for all Candidates:
- Must have an upbeat, can-do attitude and a willingness to learn new, important skills and techniques
- Must be in their rotational year of veterinary school
- Must provide a letter of recommendation from a current professor
- Must be a current student at an AVMA-accredited university
- Must have reliable transportation
TCAP was established in 2002 to provide an affordable way to spay and neuter pets. Since that time, TCAP has opened eight brick-and-mortar clinics. We’ve also added a variety of services including low-cost vaccines, microchipping, heartworm testing and prevention, and dental cleanings. TCAP’s standard prices are, on average, 70% less than what traditional veterinary clinics charge.
TCAP employs experienced and caring veterinary assistants and technicians who work alongside and support our veterinary team during our surgery clinics. Our compassionate employees and incredible North Texas shelter and rescue partners help us in the fight against euthanasia throughout DFW.
Please reach out to us after applying to inquire about extending the externship based on your school’s specific needs/requirements.